Mia Dunlap grew up in Housing Projects of Chicago from age six through adulthood. Proudly graduating salutatorian of her eighth grade class and in the top twenty-five percent from Gwendolyn Brooks College Prep Academy, she left Chicago in 2006, at age 18, to attend Spelman College in Atlanta, GA knowing she could not afford the tuition. Dunlap received institutional scholarships, donations, and loans to matriculate.
During her journey at Spelman, she spent her eight-ten week summers doing internships in East Palo Alto, California–teaching at Bayshore Christian Ministries; in Washington, DC as a youth advocate with the Children’s Defense Fund; and in Atlanta, Georgia with Forever Family, an organization for children of imprisoned parents. In winter 2010, Mia toured Ghana, West Africa for twelve days with Spelman College’s Sister Chapel.
As a first generation college graduate, in spring 2010, Mia earned a Bachelors of Arts Degree in English and went on to teach at a boys charter school in Brooklyn, New York while simultaneously earning her Master’s of Science Degree in Childhood Education.
She followed her calling to work with underserved communities of people.
A teacher, dean of students, and later a principal, Mia has discovered that writing, speaking, coaching, and educating are all interconnected as her calling.
Dunlap’s favorite quote is, “So tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?”
- Emcee of Praise Fest -Spelman College, 2007
- Introduction of Rev. Jeremiah Wright Jr. - Spelman College, Atlanta 2009
- Introduction of India Arie - Spelman College, Atlanta 2009
- Gwendolyn Brooks College Prep - Advice from Alum, Chicago 2013
- Carter G. Woodson’s Eighth Grade Graduation, Chicago 2013
- Spelman College WISDOM Center’s Tenth Anniversary, Atlanta 2013
- Gwendolyn Brooks College Prep Academy’s Senior Class Luncheon, Chicago 2013
- Navy Yard Clubhouse – Madison Square Boys & Girls Club, New York 2013
- Guest on Black Girls Rock tapping, New Jersey, 2014
- Youth Conference Speaker, Louisiana 2014
- Audacity University Summer Program Speaker, 2015
- Contributing Author in the book, Until It’s Time 2016
- Traveled throughout Europe interviewing over 30 young people, fall 2017